While a beleaguered Twitter fights to remain relevant, Instagram has some big changes afoot based on their impressive video growth. It's been a busy week in the battle of the social giants. Here are a few of the big stories from today's Friday Five.
- As mentioned, Instagram has had an explosive growth in video watch time - 40% in just 6 months, according to TechCrunch. In line with that growth, Instagram announced they are introducing video view counts to help lure more video creation to the platform .
- My personal favorite news of the week also comes from Instagram. If you have multiple IG accounts, like I do, then this news should make you happy. Instagram is now making it easier to use multiple accounts by no longer requiring you to sign out for access.
- In "words I thought I'd never type" news, it looks like MySpace is making headlines again. But not for the reasons they might've wanted to. Time Inc. has acquired their parent company and hopes to mine MySpace's user data for targeting ads. Creepy.
- Google made some changes to Gmail in a move to improve email security. The full explanation can be read on their blog.
- And last but not least, Mashable takes a look at the new (and controversial) Twitter timeline. Feel free to weigh in on the matter in the comments.