It's officially summer! If you're like me, that means hitting the ocean while imagining the "Jaws" theme in the back of your head and scanning the water for fins. Luckily, there's an app for that. Oh, and a whole lot of other news coming from VidCon in today's digital roundup.
- YouTube is pushing to remain the favorite video platform with creators by announcing the launch of several new tools. One of which includes mobile live streaming to compete with Facebook Live and Periscope.
- Twitter is letting you tag your locations. The new feature is in the process of rolling out, so look for it on your account soon.
- Facebook Live takes a page from Snapchat's playbook and adds filters to the mix.
- Instagram takes another step forward in personalized user experiences with video channel recommendations.
- And in app news, there is FINALLY an app worth getting outside of the usual social media suspects. Dorsal is an app to help you track shark sightings at the beach. This is especially helpful for those who want to surf or swim (or are permanently scarred by "Jaws" - like me). Think of it as the Waze for sharks.